Who’s a busy worker grabbing something to eat on the run each morning? Or a young person who stops too often at a fast food outlet on the way home from school?
It may seem like a quick solution to cure those hunger pains but it is definitely not a healthy choice. Most processed foods and snacks contain high levels of added salt, sugar and unhealthy fats. Popular offenders are fried foods, chips, doughnuts, muffins and cakes. These quick fix foods contain ingredients that are particularly detrimental to our health, just some of many culprits responsible for our expanding waistlines!
It’s a false economy believing fast food like chicken and chips is cheap at £2 a portion. You can cook a large chicken with potatoes and it costs less than £1.50 per portion. Most importantly you know what you are eating!
So why not save yourself some money, improve your health and shrink your waistline?! Ditch the fat foods to go and make healthier choices – here’s how:
1. Wake up 10 minutes earlier to eat breakfast – provide your body with the energy it needs to start your day. Rehydrate with water, milk, a tea or a small coffee
2. Eating in a hurry or stressed obstructs digestion – another reason to wake up a little bit earlier, make time to eat, relax and avoid eating on the run
3. Begin the day with a healthy breakfast – it regulates blood glucose levels making us less likely to crave sugary products
4. Be careful what you drink! Fancy coffees, juices, smoothies, sodas and energy drinks often contain excessive amounts of added sugars
5. Don’t wait until you are starving it provokes unhealthy choices – think ahead prepare a meal the day before, take a packed lunch or carry a piece of fruit in your bag
6. It’s cheaper and healthier to be organised – decide in advance what you are going to eat, buy the necessary ingredients and make it at home.
Eat slow and walk fast!
Christina nutritionist @edibleNRG